Saturday, December 31, 2011

WAY BEHIND!

I have so much to catch up on. One of my new year's resolutions is to blog more. I use facebook more as a journal than anything. Below I am going to post the story of Edison's birth along with the letters that I have written to him.


The story of Edison’s birth (Told by Edison’s Mom)
We originally decided to deliver Edison at the Columbus Medical Center. We chose this hospital because they were the only hospital in the area that had a NICU. As Edison’s due date approached, I was making little progress. Dr. Aranas decided to induce me and they chose to do so on Friday, August 5, 2011. I was to report to the Medical Center between 3-4:00 am. Thursday, August 4th, Matt and I were very anxious. We completed unfinished tasks such as laundry, cleaning out the trunk, packing the hospital bag and picking up around the house. We decided it was a good idea to try and get some rest (yeah, right!). We finally got in the bed around 11:00pm Thursday night. I set the alarm for 2:00 am. At 2:30 am, I awoke in a panic. I rushed to the shower and got ready as quickly as I could. I called the hospital at 3:00 am as instructed by my doctor. Matt and I sat in our recliners feeling giddy, nervous, and excited. A nurse at the medical center answered the phone and I explained who I was and that I was to be induced within the hour, per Dr. Aranas. The nurse explained to me that they had no rooms available and that they would call me as soon as a room became available. Matt and I sat there in disappointment over the news. Matt suggested that that I try and get more rest until they called. I went to sleep for a bit longer. 3 hours later, I called the hospital again; still, no room. Another 3 hours passed and I got a phone call. When I answered, it was a nurse from the Medical Center explaining that they still had no room, but they had talked to Dr. Aranas, and if we were willing, could go on over to Doctor’s Hospital. At that point, I could have almost cared less where he was born. I had that date set and wanted nothing more but to deliver him on the planned date. We agreed to deliver at Doctor’s Hospital and began making calls to family to let them know of the changes. We loaded the car and headed to my parents’ house to get waterproof mascara (I had to look decent!  There would be lots of pictures taken). We arrived at Doctor’s Hospital, got registered, and after waiting over an hour in labor room 7, got the iv’s started. Our first nurse inserted a pill called cytotec. This was a pill inserted vaginally in order to help thin the cervix. Four hours later, another dose of cytotec was inserted. I began to experience mild contractions. Four hours after the second dose of cytotec, they began a drip of pitocin to fully induce labor. Once on pitocin, the contractions became stronger. They had a heart monitor strapped across my stomach and every time I would reposition, so would Edison, and that meant that they would have to come in the room and reposition the monitor so that they could keep a good check on Edison’s heartbeat. They tried putting a vaginal monitor in to check on Edison’s heartbeat, but there was a shortage in the cord, so they had to stick with the stomach monitor. The nurses would up the dosage or lessen the dosage of pitocin based on Edison’s heart rate. Early morning (7:30ish A.M.) of August 6th, Dr. Aranas broke my water. Matt said that it had a distinct odor and that it was probably the worst part of the labor/delivery. Once my water was broke, the contractions became worse and worse. Around 8:00 A.M. the contractions were back to back with little to no break. I broke and asked for an epidural.
((side story)) I had back surgery a few years ago. The anesthesiologist looked over the surgery report from when I had my surgery and explained that he would try and administer the epidural, but wasn’t promising anything. It was a 50/50 chance that it would kick in.))
I had to wait approximately 45 minutes to get the epidural so that they could pump me full of liquids. As soon as the liquids had enough time to get in to my system, the anesthesiologist came in. Due to Matt’s squeamishness, he requested that my mom be with me during the epidural. The anesthesiologist came in and Matt stepped out. He instructed me to sit up in the bed and hug my mom while bending over. Both my mom and I quivered in hopes that it would take. After he started the epidural, they had me lie flat for a few minutes to wait for it to kick in. About 10-20 minutes later, I felt relief from my terrible contractions. That was the most I was able to rest since I had been admitted to labor/delivery. Within a few hours, I began to feel pain on my left side. I called the nurse in and explained that I could feel contractions on the left side. The nurse called in the anesthesiologist. The anesthesiologist came in and explained that because of my prior surgery, there wasn’t anything more he could do. He put another dose in my epidural, but it did not take away the pain. Back to square one/contraction pains! A nurse came in and explained that the baby didn’t like some of the positions I was taking such as my left side. My hips were killing me, and on top of that, they were making me wear an oxygen mask. I could do nothing more but pray and cry. I prayed that the Lord would give me strength to endure. The nurses told me that I still had probably 5 or more hours until I was dilated enough to push. I wasn’t sure how I was going to make it 5 more hours without the help of the epidural. At that point my contractions were on top of each other with little to no break. A nurse came in and asked me to turn over on my left side. I did as she said. She then asked me to turn on my right side because it seemed as if the baby did not like that position. Again, I asked no questions and turned over on my right side. She called another nurse in. They had me turn over on my back. They decided to check me to see how dilated I was. They told me that I was 7 centimeters. There was hope! Matt called his parents to tell them to come on to the hospital because I was almost at 10 centimeters. He then went to the waiting room to let the rest of the family know of my progress. While he went to tell the family, the nurses were still trying to get me in to a position and I could tell that they were closely keeping an eye on Edison’s heart rate. A few seconds later a nurse said, we have a 911 in room 7. WHAT?! 911? What in the world could be happening?
((REWIND** After being put in room 7 the prior morning and waiting an hour or so to get the iv started, the nurse explained that if for some reason, something went wrong and a lot of nurses rushed in my room, to not ask questions. She said that most likely everything would be fine, but just in case something did happen, to let them do their jobs))
As they are calling a 911 in my labor/delivery room, I went back to what the nurse said about asking no questions. I did my best to remain calm so that it would help them do their job. It just so happened (by the grace of God) that my doctor was on the same floor taking a nap. She was in my room in a matter of minutes. She checked me and all I remember was her sticking her hand up towards the baby saying over and over, “Come on, Baby…come, on.” At that point, I thought he had no heartbeat. There were nurses everywhere in my room working together. They inverted my bed so that my head was lower than my feet. At that point, Matt walked back in from telling my family that I was 7 centimeters. He had no clue what was going on and he had to wait in the hallway. They gave me a shot in my arm in hopes of getting his heart rate back to where it needed to be. Up until this point, his heart rate ranged anywhere from 120-150. I later learned that his heart rate had dropped to the 60’s. Dr. Aranas quickly and sympathetically explained that I was about to have an emergency c-section. I simply nodded my head in understanding. They whisked me out of the room in my bed. As I was being rolled down the hall I passed Matt who had tears in his eyes. His face was a face I will never forget for as long as I will live. It was a look of helplessness and fear all wrapped into one pitiful package. I then passed my mom who tried to give me a reassuring wink. Once in the operating room they were throwing me around like I was a sack of potatoes. I could feel the urgency in the room. Everyone was working together so well. The anesthesiologist was at my head and was inserting something in to my epidural. In my head I was thinking, “Hello??? This isn’t going to work!” I knew that Matt was getting dressed in the surgery clothing and I kept waiting for him as they draped a sheet in front of my face. All of a sudden I felt something sharp being poked at my stomach and I quickly let Dr. Aranas know that I could feel the sharp pricks. Within a matter of seconds, they put a mask over my face and told me to take deep breaths. I knew that they were putting me under and I also knew that Matt would not be able to experience the birth of his son. My last words were, “please take care of my baby.” I sucked in the air as hard as I could, gave my worries to God, and everything soon went black. I awoke in the recovery room in excruciating pain. I felt as if I had been ripped open and beaten shut. My sweet nurse, Sandy, was by my side and I told her I thought I was dying from the pain. Because the epidural didn’t work, the other pain medicine that was put in to the epidural during the operation did not properly get in to my system either, hence the terrible pain. She quickly gave me pain meds through my iv. As she was doing so she was telling me that my baby was fine and everything went well. The pain meds did not touch my pain, so she gave me a dose of something else. At that point, Matt walked in. I could see relief come across his face as he saw that I was coherent…and alive! He started telling me how much he weighed, how long he was, etc. I asked if he had hair, and when Matt replied yes, I could have melted. The nurse told Matt that he could go get Edison. A few moments later Matt came rolling in with my beautiful baby boy. I was still in excruciating pain, but as soon as I saw Edison, I felt nothing but pure joy. I wanted so badly to hold him, but I simply could not move. Matt held him up for me to see and I touched him as best as I could. Matt asked me if I wanted to see my mom. She was exactly who I needed and wanted. She came in and we shared a few moments. I asked the nurse if I could try to nurse him. The nurse tilted my bed up some and Edison nursed with me. It was the most precious moment. From that point on, I was his source of life. I could finally provide for him. I wasn’t helpless anymore. Thank you, Lord, for this miracle. Thank you for his health and safety. My mom, Edison, and I sat there as he nursed in amazement and relief. What a precious ending to a horrendous day.
Maw’s facebook status updates throughout the process of awaiting Edison’s arrival:
• is anxious to meet my new Grandson, Edison tomorrow!! Asking that you all remember April Dorrill Sawyer in prayer during her labor and delivery process. We are heading to the hospital @ 4a/m. Thanks!!August 4 at 6:36pm
• Gonna try to get a little nap in before we head to the hospital. Thanks for your continued prayers!! Will keep updates coming as I can.August 5 at 12:09am
• No bed yet for labor/delivery. We wait. August 5 at 3:26am
• Heading to doctors hospt. Medical center is full. August 5 at 8:37am
• Waiting on a nurse to get this process going! We've been in here an hour. — August 5 at 10:40am
• 11:23am iv being started.
• 1st pill vaginally inserted to thin cervix. It's gonna be a very long day. August 5 at 12:34pm
• Next check @ 4:30. Edison may not be here until tomorrow morning. August 5 at 1:56pm
• 1 1/2 cm 50% thinned. Progress!! Pitocin to start @ 8! August 5 at 4:35pm
• 2cm 60% thinned pitocin given. August 5 at 9:09pm
• 80% thinned. Progress though it may seem slow to many....this is on schedule of how it's to be. Nurse estimates it will be later in the pm before Edison is born. August 6 at 1:18am
• 3cm dilated! August 6 at 5:32am
• Could be 8 hrs longer. August 6 at 7:21am
• April's water has been broken, approximately 8 hrs and Edison will be here. August 6 at 7:42am
• Waiting for epidural! Thanks for your prayers! We are feeling them. August 6 at 8:38am
• Epidural given! Praise the Lord! August 6 at 9:25am
• Last check... No change.... Next check afternoon. August 6 at 10:23am
• 4cm! August 6 at 12:46pm
• Pray emergency c section August 6 at 3:32pm
• Edison mark 7 lbs 2oz born at 3:38 P.M. August 6 at 3:48pm
• April's in surgery still. Keep praying Edison 7lbs 20 /2 inch long. August 6 at 4:01pm
• Cord was around his neck and foot August 6 at 4:12pm
• Thank God for his mercy and care! August 6 at 7:25pm

2 comments:

  1. Your blog makeover is adorable! I cried while reading the details of Edison's birth (which is silly since I knew that despite the chaos and fear in the moment everything turned out fine!) Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Valerie! :) I hope I can blog as well as you do! I always love reading your blogs.

    ReplyDelete