Monday, June 27, 2011

Telling Matt's Parents

Matt could not believe the way I had told my parents that we were expecting. He thought I would have been a little more elaborate about it. I just wanted to get it over with. After knowing my parents were excited for us, I was able to think more creatively. I decided that I wanted to find a creative way to tell Matt's parents.

We decided to share the news with them on Christmas Eve. From the moment I found out I was pregnant, I had a strong feeling it was a boy. We went to Baby's R Us and bought bibs. They both looked boyish, but could go either way. We got one for his mom that said, "What happens at Grandma's stays at Grandma's." We got one for his dad that said, "I love Grandpa".

We called them Christmas Eve and told them we were coming over and that we had an early Christmas gift we wanted them to have. His Dad asked if we could just wait till the next day, which was Christmas, but we were almost there. We couldn't stand waiting any longer to tell them. We had already bought the bibs and put them in gift bags. We went against his dad's wishes. We got there and Matt kept telling his Dad we really wanted them to open it. Finally, Matt said, "Daddy, this is really important to us, just please open the gift."

His mom was in the kitchen with me. Matt brought his Dad in the kitchen and his dad told his mom that they had to open these gifts before Matt had a hissy fit. They opened them at the same time and had a confused look for a few seconds. Then you could literally see the light bulb go off in Mark's head. He said, "You're joking!" We said no and he hugged us. Linda was very excited and we told them the story of how we found out.

No comments:

Post a Comment